- This event has passed.
Conference on Preventing Deaths Among Individuals Experiencing Homelessness in New York City
April 8, 2021 @ 3:30 pm - 5:00 pm
During this conference about the 15th annual “Report of Deaths among Persons Experiencing Homelessness” prepared by the NYC Department of Homeless Services (DHS) and Department of Health & Mental Hygiene (DOHMH), we will have an in-depth examination and discussion of the report to gain a greater understanding of the factors contributing to premature deaths among unhoused individuals. This report provides a stark view of the myriad challenges faced by the most vulnerable New Yorkers, which often lead to a life expectancy that is several decades shorter than their housed counterparts.
The presentation will be followed by a panel discussion on how these data can inform better care and save lives. Our esteemed panelists will discuss key takeaways with the goal of identifying specific interventions that can improve medical outcomes and reduce premature deaths for people experiencing homelessness.
- Dr. Fabienne Laraque, Medical Director, NYC Department of Homeless Services, presenting on the 15th Annual “Report of Deaths among Persons Experiencing Homelessness (July 1, 2019 – June 30, 2020)”
- Dr. Andrea Littleton, Medical Director, BronxWorks and Physician, Care for the Homeless
- Dr. Tony Carino, Director of Psychiatry, Janian Medical Care and Assistant Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Columbia University Vagelos School of Physicians and Surgeons
- Dr. Jonathan Giftos, Medical Director of Addiction Medicine & Drug User Health, Project Renewal
- Moderated by Dr. Kelly Doran, Assistant Professor, NYU School of Medicine Departments of Emergency Medicine and Population Health
This conference is co-organized by The Health & Housing Consortium and Homeless Services United.